“Education shall aim to instill the Islamic creed in the young, impart knowledge and skills to them, and prepare them to be useful members in the building of their society, loving their homeland, and taking pride in its history.”
Basic Law of Saudi Arabia Article 13
Stages of education
- Pre-primary education: for children below 6 years of age, and is not compulsory. It is conducted at public nurseries and community nurseries. General education: is free and compulsory education conducted at public schools. The government provides the adequate pedagogical environment, facilities, and school books, as well as free-of-charge transportation. This stage consists of three tiers:
- Primary education | consists of 6 years of education, starting at 5 years and six months of age, or 6 years of age.
- Middle school | three years of education.
- Secondary school | three years of study; also offered at vocational schools
- Higher education:
- Bachelor’s degree; education at this stage is free for citizens; enrolled citizens and students scholarships outside the Kingdom are issued a monthly reward
- Master’s and Doctorate (PhD)
Special Education for People with Disabilities
The State undertakes, within its capabilities, educating persons with mental or physical disabilities. Special cultural and training curricula shall be developed in accordance with their special requirements, to match education with their special needs, providing them with the necessary knowledge and training to achieve their highest potential.
Leave days and official holidays
The Kingdom’s official holiday days are as such:
- Weekends: Friday and Saturday.
- Eid Al Adha and Eid Al Fitr.
- Mid-year vacation
- End of year vacation
- National Day
Sponsorship for distinguished and talented students
The State sponsors special care for the development and direction of their talents and the opportunity for them in the field of their genius. The competent authorities shall lay out their means of discovery, their study programs and the favorable advantages which are encouraging them. And provide the Nabegin means of scientific research to take advantage of their abilities,
The Overseas Scholarship Agency in the Ministry of Education offers its contributions to the preparation of Saudi human resources and its effective qualification to become a competitor in the labor market and scientific research fields internationally and locally and as an important sponsor in supporting Saudi universities in the governmental and private sectors.
Fighting illiteracy and education for adults
The State is concerned with combating illiteracy and adult education, and supports this kind of education technically, financially and administratively, in order to raise the nation's level and to spread the culture among its members. A time-based census plan is drawn up by the competent educational authorities to absorb the illiterate and eliminate illiteracy. The ministries and concerned departments cooperate in their implementation.
Initiatives and efforts to advance education
- Learning for life initiative "Istidamah":
A development initiative that provides people with the necessary life skills and lifelong learning values, and enables young people of both sexes to provide diverse education and training opportunities.
- University exchange:
This opportunity is designed to promote international cooperation in the field of higher education, to develop capacities, gain knowledge and benefit from international relations between universities, and benefit from innovative programs available in other countries.
- "Saifi" program:
The program is aimed at those over the age of 17 years of students, in order to provide them with the basic skills to enable them to invest their free time during the leave for the benefit and benefit.
A large and sophisticated digital library that includes various disciplines that support the educational process and meet the needs of beneficiaries in higher education institutions in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, contains more than 680,000 books in various electronic fields.
- Research centers:
Scientific research is one of the most important elements of interest to the Kingdom as it aims to transfer the national economy from dependence on oil, and the transition to the knowledge economy. It should be noted that there are large scientific institutions in the Kingdom such as King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy and other Saudi research institutions. Most universities have established scientific and technical research centers in sectors of interest to the Kingdom.
- Inmate education programs:
Recognizing the importance of education and its role in reform and evaluation, and in order to continue the study and education of non-scholars, Article 18 of the Prison and Detention System stipulates that the Ministry of the Interior shall, in agreement with the competent authorities responsible for education and awareness, The Regulations shall determine the rules and procedures of the examination for prisoners and detainees in different stages.
- 6.4+ million students enrolled in
- 1.5+ million talented and gifted students
- 26,377 public school
- 4,377 community school
- 29+ universities
- 38+ community c
Colleges and research centers:
- 4 public academies
- 4 colleges of technology
- 87 intermediate colleges of technology for males and females
- 106 scientific institutes and research centers
For more information:
- Ministry of Education
- General Authority for Statistics - Education and Training Survey
- International Exhibition and Conference on Higher Education
Last Modified Date: 09/10/2019 - 7:49 AM Saudi Arabia Time