Social protection is the efforts to achieve economic, social and psychological stability for citizens, improve the quality of life and reduce risks, and support them when needed in their various stages of life in order to guarantee the right to a decent life, reduce poverty and vulnerability and exclusion. The Kingdom is developing preventive programs that enable temporary and supportive protection for the community members when needed, rehabilitation and care programs of individuals to be assisted on a permanent basis, and the social protection orientation of children, women in need of assistance, the elderly, persons with disabilities, and low-income earners and orphans. The Ministry of Labor and Social Development represented by the social development sector, is concerned with its various agencies to play a role of care and protection and provide various programs to build a healthy, harmonious and knowledgeable society.
Effectiveness of protection:
The prevention step in community protection focuses on keeping the labor force within their autonomy in creating a decent living standard in their communities, keeping the financial support step limited when needed and focused on their goal of reaching what they can achieve in the labor market, some of the initiatives in this area are:
- Integration into the labor market: through Hafiz service of job seekers allowance, and those who face a difficulty of being employed for both men and women alike, under conditions that ensure their serious search for a work and the development of their professional level through customized training programs during the job research period. This service is provided by Taqat portal.
- Unemployment insurance: Sand system takes care of the Saudi workers and their families during the period of incapacity for work for reasons beyond their control. The program works to bridge the gap between the two jobs transaction by providing minimum income to provide them and their families a decent living, and the necessary training and job hunting help they need. This service is provided by the Social Insurance.
- Support to productive families: In the framework of economic empowerment, support for self-sufficiency of productive households and improvement of living through organizing their work and the provision of micro business funding with interest-free loans to encourage them to do business and professions by themselves and for their own profit. This service is provided by the Social Development Bank.
- Service Programs: Provide a range of programs for social insurance beneficiaries to support their involvement in the labor market and train them to be independent, and raise the quality of life and end poverty. This service is provided by the Ministry of Labor and Social Development.
Social welfare is available to citizens who are surrounded by social problems they cannot cope with and overcome by relying on their own abilities and potential through the care, training and rehabilitation of individuals in various social welfare institutions and centers, or through the provision of various benefits.
- Social services:
- Childhood and orphans: In all cases, the child has the priority to enjoy protection, care and relief, as stipulated by the child protection law. The General Administration for the Care of Orphans and others in their care shall ensure the care, education and reform in modern methods through the housing institutions and centers or follow up with their care within foster families or friendly families.
- Juvenile care: It works to achieve the foundations of guidance, reform, and social rehabilitation of juveniles who are delinquent and prone to delinquency of both genders, according to the juveniles system. They are taken cared of through the social observation centers, the social guidance centers, or care homes for girls.
- Social protection: Social protection for women of all ages and children under the age of 18, and some vulnerable groups subjected to abuse and domestic violence of all kinds, in accordance with the protection from abuse law.
- Persons with Disabilities: Provide care and rehabilitation services through a coordinated process to employ medical, social, psychological, educational and professional services to assist persons with disabilities in achieving the maximum possible degree of functional efficiency, in order to enable them to conform to the requirements of their natural and social environment, develop their abilities to rely on themselves, and to make them productive members of the society.
- Elderly care: The Kingdom is concerned with providing integrated social care for aging citizens who have been unable to work or do their own personal affairs themselves by providing social care services, medical care and subsistence services to those who live in the social care homes for the elderly, or home care services for those who live in their own homes.
- Anti-begging: Anti-begging is concerned with achieving the correct guidance and reform for the beggars' citizens, where the disabled are referred to the social care homes, patients are referred to specialized hospitals where they are provided with free medical care, the less fortunate will receive financial assistance from the social insurance or charities after studying their cases, and children and orphans who are subject to the regulations of care homes are also referred, to provide suitable accommodation and proper socialization.
- Assistance and social funding programs:
- Social insurance:
- The monthly pension is provided for orphans, the elderly, the with temporary or permanent unemployed for any health reason, and women and families with no breadwinner under the provisions of the social insurance law.
- Social benefits, provided for:
- Persons with disabilities families
- Foster families
- Marriage assistance for girls in the social care homes and orphans.
- Social funding:
- Kanaf: kanaf funding is provided for the most needy groups of widows and divorced women by funding them in order to help them pay the costs and bear the burdens of life of an amount up to SR 30,000.
- Family loan: It is granted to low-income families to help them pay the costs and bear the burdens of life according to the specific procedures.
- Ahil product: A social finance product that is provided to support families with increased family responsibilities for women or men, without interest and with funding up to SR 60,000.
- Ministry of Labor and Social Development
- Human Rights Commission
- Care Homes Regulations
- Social Homes Regulations
- Organizing the Authority for the Care of People with Disabilities
Last Modified Date: 09/10/2019 - 11:00 AM Saudi Arabia Time