The regulation of procedures related to government purchasing and procurement is an essential part of the Kingdom’s efforts. This section specifies the goals of the government tenders and procurement laws when it comes to the utilization of contracting services and consultancy and non-consultancy services. It will also provide awareness into the electronic government procurement system, also known as the Etimad Portal, which consolidates and facilitates government procurement for all government sectors. Here, you will become informed about the most important services provided by Etimad and the statistical achievements, increase in the number of contracts and government tenders and procurements.
The Kingdom has strived to regulate procedures relating to government purchasing and procurement, thereby maximizing the utilization of public funds when contracting services, consultancy and non-consultancy services, etc. To regulate this process, the Government Tenders and Procurement Law was passed with its implementing regulations.
Goals of the Government Tenders and Procurement Law
- Regulating government tenders and procurement processes and preventing them from being influenced by personal interests, in protection of public funds.
- Achieving maximum economic self-sufficiency for procuring government purchases and achieving its projects at fair and competitive prices.
- Enhancing integrity, transparency, and competitiveness, and ensuring fair treatment of contractors; ensuring equal opportunity.
- Achieving transparency at every step of the government procurement process.
The Electronic Government Procurement System - Etimad Portal
The Electronic Government Procurement System, the Etimad Portal, is one of the cornerstones of the Kingdom’s e-government. It works to consolidate and facilitate the process of bidding and government procurement for all government sectors, enhancing transparency amongst sectors of government on the one hand, and among competing entities on the other. The portal allows the largest segment of competitors to access bids, enhancing competitiveness and improving the quality of government projects undertaken.
The portal is an entirely digital gateway for posting government tenders, receiving invitations, obtaining fascicles, surveying bids and awarded contracts, with first preference being given to small and medium-sized businesses, which are exempt from preliminary insurance.
The most important services provided by Etimad for the private sector and individuals:
- Access to Current tenders
- Access to the Upcoming Tenders (Pre-planning)
- Purchase tender documents
- Inquiries and responses to tenders
- Delivery and tender submission
- Following up the tender status
- Viewing the results of the tender award
- Submitting Financial Claims Electronically (Digital Invoice)
- Direct procurement.
- Supplier registration.
One year after launching Etimad portal, numbers show a significant increase in the number of government tenders and government purchases, as well as an increase in the number of contracts and awards, as detailed below:
|Period||Q1 2020||Q1 2019|
|Number of users||103,611||65,755|
|Number of tenders and purchases||81,646||40,415|
|Total value of contracts||167 billion+||87 billion+|
|Total payment orders||339,000||75,423|
|Total value of payment orders||474 billion+||112 billion+|