Saudi Arabia witnessed a dynamic development process in the industrial and mining sector over the past decades, driven by government empowerment. The development of the industrial sector began with the discovery of oil, which became a mainstay in expanding the industrial system in Saudi Arabia . Moreover, the kingdom has all the capabilities that enable it to reach a competitive and sustainable industrial economy, starting with its prominent geographical location, rich natural resources, in addition to the establishment of leading national industrial companies.
Saudi Arabia is proceeding at a continuous and escalating pace towards achieving more goals and ambitions in the industrial sector, such as expansion in industries related to oil and gas, and the development of promising and competitive industries (military industries, automobile industry, pharmaceutical, and food industry), thus building a prosperous future. One of the most important goals of the National Industry Development Program is the transformation of the kingdom into a leading industrial country and a global platform for logistics services.
Saudi Arabia outlined its industrial vision and declared numerous aims, the most important of which is to achieve 84% growth in non-oil industries and 55% interest in local content in manufacturing, in addition to offering 230,000 job opportunities.
National Center for Industrial Development
Industrial Cities and Integrated Infrastructure
Industrial Sector Initiatives
National Geological Database:
The national geological database (the Saudi Geological Survey) constitutes the cornerstone of the mineral resources and mining information management system in Saudi Arabia. It evaluates mineral resources of various types and locations, in addition to data on exploration activities, geological prospecting, and drilling data available for various projects in the country. The National Geological Database aims to:
- Unifying data and information on mineral and mining resources in Saudi Arabia
- Development and governance of the National Geological Database Infrastructure
- Developing the mining sector and contributing to increasing the country's GDP from its outputs
- Raising investment expectations and returns in the field of mining in Saudi Arabia through the integration of the national geological database with the relevant authorities in the country
- Providing documented and accurate information to government and private agencies through a unified electronic portal that contributes to decision-making
Saudi Arabia's Initiatives in the Mining Sector:
Saudi Arabia seeks to form an institutional structure for non-profit organizations in the sector, in addition to empowering and governing these organizations and spreading a culture of volunteering and social responsibility with the aim of developing the non-profit sector, as part of the national transformation programs, in turn, will contribute to the gross domestic product and employment, as the non-profit sector is a complementary and integrated sector with The government and private sectors. Accordingly, Saudi Arabia provides several services that work to achieve this trend, such as issuing licenses to establish non-profit organizations, following up and supervising the work of those organizations, in addition to providing support and empowerment while creating volunteer opportunities and offering social responsibility initiatives. With the aim of maximizing and benefiting from the value achieved from the mining sector, the ministry has established an exploration incubator that works to increase the rates of spending on exploration work, support the Saudi geological database with more accurate information, and increase the number of small national companies and improving customer satisfaction. (read more).
Other Initiatives that Enriched the Mining Sector:
- Launching technical and financial guidelines for obtaining mining licenses
- Governance and digitization of government lands
- Launching technical guidelines for the mining industriesl
- Developing the building materials licensing sector
- Develop governance and business models for the mining sector and build the necessary capabilities
- Saudi Mining Services Company
- Approving and implementing the comprehensive strategy for the mining sector
- Amending the mining investment system and the organizing regulations.
- Mining platform development.
- Developing the beneficiary experience and transparency in the mining sector.
- Promote investment in the mining sector.
- Studying the impact of energy and water on the mining sector.
- Establishment of a Saudi professional body for mining.
- Preparing and operating a technical support team to implement the strategy
- Create a fund to support the mining sector.
- Developing national cadres and forces in the field of mining.
- Launching technical guidelines for the optimal use of mineral resources in the new project.
- Support mining sector requirements for infrastructure and commercial regulations.
Government Digital Transformation
With the rapid development in the world of technology and the trend of governments and institutions towards digitization in all their services, Saudi Arabia was keen to adopt the concept of digital government transformation by replacing traditional operations with digital ones and developing plans and strategies to ensure the achievement of its goals with quality and efficiency. The industrial and mining investor's digital journey to becoming a more accessible and more flexible experience through the Ebtda platform.
Mobile Applications for Industry, Mineral Resources Sector
To discover the key government applications for the industry, Mineral Resources Sector, please click here.
- Industrial sector services
- Mining sector services
- Rules and Regulations
- e-services rating
- Frequently asked questions in the industrial sector
- Frequently asked questions in the mining sector
- National Industry Development Program and Logistics Services
- Saudi Industrial Development Fund
- Manufacturing Guide
- Statistics the Ministry of Industry and Mineral Resources
- Open data for industry